Senior Cup Final

Dorking Wanderers win the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup

Dorking Wanderers beat Kingstonian on penalties to win the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup for the first time in their history.

Dorking Wanderers were indebted to their goalkeeper Slav Huk as they came from behind to win the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup by defeating Kingstonian on penalties after a closely contested 1-1 draw. 

Kingstonian started the brighter of the two teams and pushed Wanderers onto the back foot from the kick-off as they poured forward in search of an early breakthrough, and it came after only five minutes when man of the match Kershaney Samuels cut inside and hit a low shot past Huk from the edge of the penalty area. 

The early goal seemed to rattle Dorking and Kingstonian dominated the opening exchanges, although Wanderers did have a great chance to equalise on 15 minutes when Niall McManus broke down the right wing and crossed low to Harry Ottway who was unmarked in the box, but he could only fire his shot straight at Kingstonian keeper Serine Sanneh. 

This proved to be their only chance of note in the first half and Kingstonian came close to extending their lead, forcing a series of fine saves from Huk. First, Walter Figueira forced a save from Huk before the rebound fell for D'sean Theobalds. Despite being forced wide he managed to cross back into the area for Samuels, who hit a wonderful half volley that seemed destined for the top left corner of goal, to be denied by an incredible diving save from Huk, who tipped the ball over the bar at full stretch.

Kingstonian seemed in complete control at this stage but other half chances came and went and there was a feeling at half time that they may live to regret not extending their advantage. It was no surprise to see Dorking Wanderers make two changes at the break with Nicky Wheeler and Dan Gallagher replacing Niall McManus and Callum Kennedy respectively and they looked a different team as they started to take control of the midfield. 


They nearly levelled the tie when Davide Rodari headed just wide, but they finally got their chance to equalise with a penalty after Wes Fogden was brought down by Theobalds following a corner. Darren Oldaker took responsibility from the spot and calmly slotted the ball home to Sanneh's right. Wanderers were now on top and they looked the likely winners as the game entered the last quarter. Their best chance came from a great run and cross from Bobby Joe Taylor who found Kane Wills just inside the area, but the midfielder saw his shot cleared off the line. This proved to be the last big chance, although Kingstonian did have a late penalty appeal for handball waved away by referee Andy Bennett. 

With neither side able to find a winner, the game went to penalties. Slav Huk saved the second and fourth kicks to give Dorking the advantage but two brilliant stops from Sanneh on the third and fifth Dorking kicks forced the penalties into sudden death. Huk produced another save, the 7th kick from Nyren Clunis, getting down well to his left, to put Dorking Wanderers one kick away from the trophy.  Dan Gallagher stepped up to smash home the winning penalty and secure the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup for the first time in Dorking Wanderers' history.