U18 cup final

Walton & Hersham hold their nerve to win Champion Timber U18 Youth Cup

Walton & Hersham overcame Motspur Park FC on a rainy night at Meadowbank

In our first midweek County Cup Final of the season, Walton & Hersham saw off a spirited Motspur Park FC to win the U18 Youth County Cup. 
On a rainy evening at Meadowbank, both sides got off to a strong start, with end-to-end football being played. 

Possession began to favour Walton & Hersham, who had an early chance down the right wing but were prevented by a fantastic challenge from Joe Cerosimo. Soon after, Jake James gave away a free-kick on the edge of the Motspur box, but this was cleared away as the defence held firm.

Walton & Hersham continued to press forwards and some tricky feet from Louis Oette put him in a glorious position to give his side the lead. However, a double save from Alex Sutherland kept Motspur Park firmly in the tie. 

Motspur began to edge their way back into the game but the Walton & Hersham defence were strong in their own half, winning possession and unlucky not to score when Oscar House had a dipping shot from range collected by the 'keeper. 

The breakthrough for Walton & Hersham came when Joe Avery showed good feet in the box, before lashing the ball into the roof of the net: 1-0. 

Approaching the end of the half there was a rare chance for Motspur Park, but this was collected well by the Walton & Hersham keeper, Joe Parkin, to keep them in the lead at the interval. 

The second period started off with a bang, as Joe Avery was believed to have doubled the Walton & Hersham lead but was found to be offside. 

Motspur Park saw their opportunity come when a free kick deep in the Walton & Hersham half was taken by Armando Ibisi. The ball was whipped back into the box, only to be deflected wide after some last ditch defending. 

Despite the opposition efforts, Walton & Hersham did double their lead through Nathan Van Wyck, who was suspected to be offside, but this was not the case.

Motspur did come back into the game when Jonah Baum saw his shot deflect into the net. However, despite the encouragement from their travelling fans, they were unable to equalise before Joe Avery knocked home the second goal of the game, dribbling the ball around the Motspur keeper deep into stoppage time to secure the U18 Youth Cup for Walton & Hersham.