Sutton Common Rovers vs Sutton United

First Ever Sutton Derby Ends With The U's Taking The Win

The first tie of the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup first round, ended in a 2-0 win for the U's against the Commoners.

First ever Sutton derby ends with the U’s taking the win over Commoners

The tie of the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup first round, as voted through our Twitter poll, ended in a 2-0 win for the U’s against the Commoners.

Both teams named strong sides for the affair, with the likes of experienced Football League players such as Nicky Bailey and Harry Beautyman lining up for Sutton United.

Sutton Common Rovers named a team very close to full strength on an evening where they looked to upset the odds against a Sutton United side that had seen a wide rotation following the FA Cup win against Wealdstone at the weekend.

First Half

The first twenty minutes belonged to the U’s with two early chances for Josh Taylor, both of which he couldn’t convert.

On the 20 minute mark United’s early dominance payed off as they took the lead with a left foot strike from Tom Bolarinwa, which left the Commoners goalkeeper Ollie Ellaway no chance.

Just two minutes later the crossbar was rattled by Harry Beautyman with a sweetly struck shot from 25 yards – however the Commoners where able to clear, and breathe a sigh of relief on this occasion.

As the whistle went for the end of the first half, it was mostly the U’s with the majority of the first half chances. The Commoners had done enough so far however to keep themselves in it with some good defending and the desire to quickly counterattack.

Second Half

It was a very different second half for both sides with Sutton Common Rovers firing on all cylinders, putting pressure on every United player.

The Commoners continued to counter brilliantly, with a cross which came close to creeping in under the bar troubling Ross Worner in goal.

With fifteen minutes left, SCR had the best opportunity of the game to score which fell to Jordan Gallagher - but Dan Wishart just got a foot in front of the close ranged shot to send the strike wide.

In the 85th minute the Commoners were made to pay with a fantastic strike from substitute and academy player Brandon McCarthy on the edge of the box which put the U’s 2-0 up with not long left.

After the second goal, The U’s closed out the tie in the final minutes - holding off a late surge from the Commoners trying to peg them back.

The tie of the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup first round, and first ever game between the two clubs, ended with the landlords Sutton United taking a 2-0 win over the tenants Sutton Common Rovers, with 263 in attendance, a big rise from the average attendance of 80 for the Commoners.  

Related News

View All