Futsal is the format of Small Sided Football that is recognised and supported by FIFA and UEFA. There is a UEFA Futsal Cup for clubs, and UEFA Futsal Championships and FIFA World Championship for national teams.
There are a number of differences to our traditional version of small sided football, but the dominant elements are the absence of rebound boards and amendments in the laws that encourage and foster skillful, creative play above the physical contact that tends to be a feature of English five-a-side.
So, what are the differences?
Well, Futsal is a:
- five-a-side game
- played on a flat indoor pitch
- using hockey sized goals
- with a size four ball, and a reduced bounce
- playing to touchlines
- players free to enter the penalty area
- play the ball over head-height
- 20 minutes per half
- play to a stopping clock (similar to basketball) with time-outs permitted
With plenty of tournaments, available to both male and female players, throughout the season we are always looking to hear from individuals who are interested in taking part.