Sunday Intermediate

Cheam Athletic win Sunday Intermediate Cup

Cheam Athletic beat St Andrews 2-1 at Meadowbank Stadium on the 14th of May

Cheam Athletic Complete Comeback To Win Sunday Intermediate Cup.

It would take just three minutes for the game to come to life, with the first chance of game falling to St. Andrews. Mario Quiassaca would find himself in a pocket of space down the left-hand side, forcing opposition goalkeeper Tom Gordon into a strong save. That early chance would really set the tone for the opening quarter of the game, which saw true end-to-end football.

That would kickstart an onslaught of attacks by St Andrews in the opening few minutes. A deflected Taylor Hogan strike looked destined for goal, but his effort would be prevented by the crossbar. From that chance, Cheam Athletic would go straight down the other end on the counterattack, giving Archie Harland-Goddard the opportunity to shoot. He’d make good connection, warranting a decent save by Mitchel May to keep the scores level.

If the opening ten minutes were anything to go off, then this game had goals in.

It didn’t take long for the deadlock to be broken, and St Andrews would be the one to gain the early advantage. After some great build up down the left-hand side, the ball would fall to Karl Usher and he’d keep his shot low, past the trailing leg of Gordon to put his side one goal to the good in the 12th minute.

If anything, the goal potentially slowed the intensity of the game down a touch but that was also expected given the manner in which it began. There was however still plenty of attacking talent on display as Cheam were beginning to get forward more. 

As a result, they’d equalise in the 23rd minute. Malachi Thomas would find himself in a pocket of space just inside the edge of the box and would take the opportunity well, firing into the bottom left corner, much to the joy of the following Athletic fans who’d arrived in their numbers.

That goal further opened the game up, but both teams had now stabilised somewhat, limiting one another to fewer opportunities in front of goal.

Perhaps the best chance later in the half would fall to Taylor Hogan. He’d have the goal at his mercy in the 45th minute after a driven ball into the box, but he’d slightly snatch the chance, pulling the ball just wide from six yards out. That would also be the last chance of the half, with little to separate the two sides going into the break.

Just like the half in which preceded it, the second would begin at a high pace. Both teams would have their opportunities, but of the two it would be Cheam who had the stronger of them.

They’d hit the woodwork in the 51st minute after one of the St Andrews defenders headed a dangerous Malachi Thomas free kick onto their own bar. That was a significant let off for St Andrews, who were gradually getting back up to speed. 

Some nerves were beginning to creep in, and it was turning into a rather feisty affair with half an hour to go. Numerous names would enter the book and the game would enter a rather scrappy phase midway through the half.

As a result of that, the game had slowed slightly with neither team able to build much momentum. 

Entering the final 15 minutes, it could be argued that Cheam looked the slightly more dangerous. May would make another valuable save in 74th minute after a fine piece of skill from Adam Roberts, who’d looked dangerous the whole game.

Just as it looked as if the game could be going to penalties, Cheam Athletic would find the go-ahead goal in the 82nd minute. An inch-perfect pulled back ball from Adam Roberts would land at the feet of the advancing Thomas-Harland Goddard who made no mistake, firing his effort home.

There was still time for St Andrews to pull one back, but Cheam were the side who continued to look the more dangerous. They’d almost put the game to bed in the 89th minute after another great ball from Roberts found Thomas, but he’d be denied by the post.

When the official raised the board for six added minutes it still seemed if this game wasn’t quite over and St Andrews were sending everything at Cheam. However, Athletic’s defence would hold firm, holding on to lift the Sunday Intermediate Cup.

Goals: (Cheam Athletic) Thomas (23), Harland-Goddard (82) 

           (St Andrews) Usher (12)

Attendance: 171 

POTM: Adam Roberts

Match Officials: 

Referee: Conor Fanelli 
Assistant Referee: Andy Goldsmith 
Assistant Referee: Dan Killick 
Fourth Official: Nick Pye 

Images of the game can be viewed and purchased by following the link below.