Saturday Junior

Woking Vets win the Saturday Junior Cup

Woking Vets beat Surrey Casuals 4-2 at Meadowbank Stadium on the 8th of May

Woking Vets Complete Stunning Comeback To Win Saturday Junior Cup.

It would be a rather slow start to the 2024 Saturday Junior Cup Final as both sides attempted to get into the game. Numerous early fouls would break up any sort of momentum that either would have.

After a rather trappy early few minutes the game would come alive in the 9th minute when Surrey Casuals were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position. The ball would land to Louie Stevens, who made perfect connection with his left foot, volleying the ball into the left-hand corner and giving Woking ‘keeper Chris Dore no chance of saving.

That early goal did however seem to wake the Vets up, who did start to grow into the game. However the same could be said about the Casuals, who were building consistent attacks. It looked as if they’d added a second in the 16th minute when Hamish Boyle rose highest following a corner. His strong header was met by an even better save by Dore to keep the score at 1-0.

Casuals would however find a second in the 19th minute. A great over-the-top ball by Stevens would send Louis Forrest through on goal. The striker would make no mistake from eight yards out when one-on-one with the ‘keeper, chipping the ball into the net and giving his side a 2-0 lead.

Woking Vets were at serious risk of being out of the tie early and were in need of a moment of magic. They’d get just that in the 23rd minute when Toni Perri was given time to shoot on the edge of the box and he’d fire a powerful shot into the bottom left corner to blow the game wide open once more.

There were certainly some nerves within the Casuals side, and they were becoming fairly sloppy in possession. Vets were looking to capitalise and they’d do just that five minutes later. It would once again be Perri, who would use his strength to outmuscle the defender to get through on goal. He’d have plenty of time to think about where to place his effort, and would choose the right option, slotting the ball into the bottom right corner for the equaliser.

More hard work from Stevens, now deployed down the left-hand side, would see Casuals have the next big chance of the game. The ball would find its way to Forrest who was just six yards out, but he couldn't make proper connection, putting his attempt wide.

A handful of minutes later, they’d have an even better chance when Andrew Thomas used his pace to get through on goal. Dore would be quick off his line, making a good stop to keep the scores level.

It would be all square going into the half in what was a rather up-and-down affair.

Unlike the first, the second half would start rather quickly, with Woking on the front foot. They’d complete the comeback in the 49th minute after Scott Evans passed his defender with a piece of skill and he’d fire a ball across the box. That would ricochet off of the Casuals’ keeper and into the back of the net and for the first time in the evening, Woking would lead.

Vets were looking more dangerous by the minute, and almost extended their lead in the 56th minute. It would once again be Perri who’d get a shot away but Harley Baxter would tip his effort marginally over the bar.

Entering the final half an hour it was still anyone's game with the game turning into an end-to-end affair. Seven minutes later though, Woking would have another, which could well have been the goal to put the game to bed. A Colin George Romero free-kick from 30 yards out would go over everyone’s head, including the keeper, and straight into the back of the net.

It was now all about game management for Woking Vets, and they were doing that rather effectively. They’d manage to see out the final 20 minutes, limiting Casuals to very few chances in goal, and in turn lift the Saturday Junior Cup.

Goals: (Woking Vets) Perri (23,28), Own Goal (49), George Romero (67)

            (Surrey Casuals) Stevens (9), Forrest (19)

Attendance: 168

Match Officials:

Referee: Daniel Trout

Assistant Referee: Dom Fairhurst

Assistant Referee: Iain Bryant

Fourth Official: Gary Taylor