Ash United

Ash United Win Thrilling Saturday Premier Cup Final

Ash United beat Honourable Artillery Company

Ash United beat Honourable Artillery Company 4-2 at Meadowbank Stadium on the 24th of April.

Ash United would waste no time in displaying their attacking strengths in the Saturday Premier Cup Final and it would take just three minutes before their first shot on target. Winger Quincy Ajao found himself in a pocket of space forcing opposition keeper Joe Marsh into an early save. That was a bit of an early wake-up call for Honourable Artillery Company. 

However just a handful of minutes later, HAC striker Chris Heritage found himself through on goal with the keeper in no-man's land however he’d lack some composure, putting his effort wide of the post from 25-yards out. 

HAC would find themselves another great opportunity in the 16th minute when they were awarded a free-kick just outside of the penalty area. From the resulting free-kick they would in fact have the ball in the back of the net, but that would be disallowed with the referee deeming that the goalscorer had fouled an opposition defender to get to the ball. 

It was developing into, and end-to-end game and the first goal would certainly be significant in the course of the game. 

Ash United would draw first blood in the 29th minute through Kareem Foster. A tricky run allowed him the chance to shoot and although his strike would take a significant deflection to wrongfoot the keeper, it was his initial hard work which earned him the goal and in turn, his side the lead. 

Ash were beginning to build consistent, dangerous attacks and almost doubled their lead in the 35th minute. Joshua Hughes managed to evade a defender with an effective turn on the edge of the box and his shot seemed destined for the bottom corner, but HAC keeper Marsh was equal to the task, making a fine full-length save in the process. 

A couple of minutes later, Hughes would have another great opportunity, but Marsh was once again equal to the task with another great save to palm the ball over the bar. The two sides would go into the half with Ash one goal to the good, but they’d potentially be kicking themselves that they hadn’t added another. 

The second half started just like the first did with early chances for both sides and Ash keeper Dease Kerrison denied Heritage less than a minute into the second period.  

The next significant chance went Ash’s way when they were awarded an indirect free-kick in the opposition box. Every single member of the HAC squad was on the line, but a well-placed Ethan Hilton strike would manage to go under several bodies on the line to give them a two-goal lead. 

It looked as if HAC were about to pull one back in the 71st minute but Kerrison would once again make a fine save to deny Tom Farrar at point blank range. Had that gone in, then the momentum of the game could’ve significantly altered, with HAC continuing to look dangerous. 

They were however susceptible to a potential counterattack and in the 74th minute, Ash would find a third. An inviting ball into the box by Foster was met by a thumping strike by Joshua Hughes which looked to have put the game to bed bar a late comeback. HAC defender Jack Perry-Williams would also be sin-binned in the aftermath posing them with an even harder task with 15 minutes still to be played.

HAC were in desperation mode going into the final five minutes, but would give themselves a late chance at a comeback when Perry-Williams, who’d only just returned from the sin bin, rose highest to nod home a corner. 

That goal sparked a relentless onslaught of HAC attacks and just two minutes later, they’d almost have another. Harry Howat managed to cut onto his favoured left-foot, and he’d beaten the keeper but his effort would cannon off the woodwork.

Going into stoppage time, the game would get even more thrilling when HAC pulled another goal back. Similarly to their first, it would come from a corner, this time defender Bobby Zubis getting his name on the scoresheet when heading home. 

With their being ten minutes of stoppage time, there were certainly some nerves in the Ash backline as HAC continued to drive forward. However, despite being under the cosh, Ash would manage to extend their lead after Darijus Sulnis capitalised on a poor backpass in the 11th minute of added time helping his side to win the Saturday Premier County Cup in the process.

Goals: (Ash United) Foster (29), Hilton (65), Hughes (74) Sulnis (90+11) 

            (Honourable Artillery Company) Perry Williams (86), Zubis (90+5) 

POTM: Kareem Foster 

Attendance: 202 

Match Officials: 
Referee: Michael Webb

Assistant: Gareth Mays

Assistant: Keith Grove

Fourth Official: Mark Osborne

Ash United: Dease Kerrison, George Tims, Tom Else, Ollie Lycett, Ryan Jones, Ethan Hilton, Kareem Foster, Anton Vorukov, Joshua Hughes, Jack Melbourne, Quincy Ajao, Nick Baker, Darijus Sulnis, Hamza Abubakari, Taylor Stewart, Luis Skone 

Honourable Artillery Company: Joe Marsh, Ben Harper, Dylan Sweeney, Adam Holmes, Bobby Zubis, Jack Perry-Williams, Matthew Green, Alex Roberts, Chris Heritage, Tom Farrar, Harry Howat, Ed Williamson, Tomas Coulter, Benji Thompson, Harry Jaquiss, Joe Humphries