Sutton United Colts

Sutton United Colts come out on top in highly contested U15 Youth Cup Final

The Colts battled against Camberley Town to win the final 4-2

Camberley Town and Sutton United came into this final on the back off some impressive quarter and semi-final results, in what lined up to be a feisty contest

It was a quick start to the game and both teams were off the block straight away. Sutton United set the tone early. Centre back Elijah Wood and keeper Kostiantyn Huba commanding and vocal at the back.  

The first chance of the afternoon came in the 11th minute when Camberley Town’s Kristopher Eccleston rifled one on to the crossbar from outside the box. Camberley Town grew in confidence and soon had an array of chances in the 12th and 13th minutes, with Lewis Mandaza almost scoring from a tight angle off the left wing. They did well to keep the ball alive and circulate it around, firing dangerous crosses into the box, but none of these came into fruition. 

Sutton hung in there and managed to clear their lines and get up the pitch immediately. Sutton reaped their reward for attacking swiftly as they won a penalty in the 15th minute. Finn Mitchell assumed responsibility and did not disappoint, as he calmly dispatched his spot kick, sending the keeper the wrong way. 

Despite the goal, Camberley Town had the better chances in the opening 20 minutes. Sutton United extended their lead in the 29th minute. Jesiah-James McLeod grabbed their second goal, courtesy of a good cut back from the right wing. 

Sutton nearly scored again, but Camberley’s keeper Dominic West denied a 1v1 opportunity by standing his ground. Sutton’s Louis Khan was instrumental this half, as his link up play drove them forward. 

Camberley Town had a penalty shout at half time, but they had to go into the break with a 2-goal deficit. 

Sutton had an indifferent start to the second half as they had a player sent off for a clumsy tackle. Camberley took full advantage and managed to pull one back through Joshua Ewing – a good shot that found the bottom left corner. 

The last 5 minutes plus stoppage time were eventful and packed with drama. Sutton’s Charlie Fear scored in the 75th minute with a towering header, after a well-placed cross swung in from the right wing.  Sutton thought they would be cruising to the finish line, but Camberley’s Isaac Humphrey pulled another goal back to make it a nervy ending at 3-2. 

Moving into the 6th minute of stoppage time, Camberley’s keeper Dominic West received a red card after committing a foul in a 1v1 situation at the edge of the box. Sutton’s Liam Armstrong eventually converted this free kick by bending it wonderfully in the last minute to seal the game 4-2. 

116 people were in attendance in Meadowbank to witness this fabulous ‘Thorpe Park U15 Youth final’, and it truly did live up to the expectation. 

Goals (Sutton United): Finn Mitchell (15’), Jesiah – James McLeod (29’), Charlie Fear (75’), Liam Armstrong (80 + 7’)  

Goals (Camberley Town): Joshua Ewing (52’), Isaac Humphrey (80 +1’)  

MOTM: Adrian Brito - Turbi  

Attendance: 116

Match Officials:  

Referee: Olly Randall  
Assistant Referee: James Phillips  
Assistant Referee: Radu-Andrei Lungu  
Fourth Official: Matt Leary  

Camberley Town: Dominic West, Jacob Lucas, Freddie Jamieson, Isaac Humphrey, Hayden Stedman, Erim Dinctop, Kristopher Eccleston, Lewis Mandaza, Joshua Deklerk, Joshua Ewing, James Rai, Zahir Al-Nawab, Luke Barnard, Ben Jordan, Oliver Pritchard, Luca Boeber, Tadiwa Bare, Joe Beatty. 

Sutton United: Finn Mitchell, Liam Armstrong, Amari Dunkleg, Ruben Mayani, Matthews Da Silva, Konstantyn Huba, Samuel Hennessy, Fletcher Henderson, Louis Khan, Adrian Brito-Turbi, Rok Grant, Jesiah-James McLeod, Albie Ahmet, Elijah Wood, Luyanda Mafu, Daniel Pearson, Benjamin Egberts, Charlie Fear.