U18 Midweek Final

Leatherhead Youth win U18 Midweek Floodlit cup after a dazzling first half

Leatherhead beat Glebe 3-1 to win the Champion Timber U18 Midweek Floodlit cup.

Early on Leatherhead proved to be too strong for Glebe and after only two minutes Leatherhead took the lead through Chanse Headman. As a corner was swung in from the right which Glebe failed to clear, it fell to Headman at the back post who poked home to score the first of the evening. 

Moments later Leatherhead could have doubled their lead as a ball across the edge of the box was struck first time, but the shot whistled over the bar. 

After only a few minutes played, goal scorer Headman was booked after a bad foul on Tahiem Salmon Walters, which presented Glebe with a great opportunity with a free kick just outside the area, but the cross was easily dealt with by Leatherhead. 

Leatherhead had another great opportunity to take further advantage after captain James Matner was deemed to have been fouled to the right of the box. Jamie Pike stepped up, but his curving attempt was coolly held by Oliver Siberski. 

Glebe then came close to getting an equaliser, as a corner swung in from the left was palmed away by Harvey Sellers but only as far as Alfie Moynes whose drilled shot was cleared off the line by Headman. Glebe continued to pile on the pressure as Harrison English won the ball on the edge of Leatherhead’s box before sweeping it out to Finlay Boyce whose well placed cross fell to Archie Jeffries in the middle. Unfortunately, he was unable to get his acrobatic chance on target and Leatherhead were able to clear to safety. 

A defensive error proved to be Glebe’s best chance in the first half as Chris Newell pounced on a loose back pass by Ben Lowery. He accelerated into the Leatherhead box, but Seller’s positioning pushed him wide and from a tight angle could only find the near post. A minute later Glebe had another great opportunity to level the scores. As Jeffries dispossessed Alex Whitehurst deep into Leathehead territory, a neat 1-2 with Boyce released Jeffries into the box but his dinked effort to Moynes was claimed by Sellers in goal. 

Leatherhead started to regain control of the possession as they pushed for the security of a second goal, but Glebe’s defence was resolute. Although, if it weren’t for Siberski, Roman Kedgely could have scored a great solo goal. As Kedgely skipped past Jack Goyns down the right-hand wing before bursting into the Glebe box but his low drive was well saved by the feet of Siberski to keep the scoreline at 1-0. 

Although on the 34th minute, Leatherhead did double their lead as a good passage of play cut open Glebe, and Sebastian Karczewski’s shot outside of the edge of the box proved to be too powerful for Siberski as it swirved into the left of the Glebe goal. 

With now a mountain to climb, Glebe FC tried to push Leatherhead’s defence to force an error. Gebe’s Boyce and Newell pushed high, but the Leatherhead defence stood strong. As a ball out to the left to Boyce slipped through Jefferies on the edge of the Leatherhead box but he was unable to control the pass and Lowery was able to clear the ball to safety. 

Leatherhead went in search of the third goal, to all but kill the game off, with successive corners. Just before half time they did get their third of the evening. Centre back Lowery intercepted a long ball just inside the Glebe half, before driving forward. Glebe failed to close him down, and his hopeful long range shot thundered under Siberksi in goal to put Leatherhead one step closer to the trophy. 


After the restart Leatherhead had a great opportunity to add a fourth after Sebastian Karczewski played in Matteo Adver who played an inviting ball across the face of goal but no one in green could capitalise.

Despite Leatherhead’s dominance, Glebe got a goal back just 6 minutes into the second half. A searching ball over the top found Tahiem Salmon Walters, his cross was cleared by Leatherhead but only as far as Alfie Moynes on the edge of the box, who volleyed the ball, past Sellers to give Glebe a lifeline. 

Moments later Leatherhead could have sealed the tie, as good movement on the edge of the box gave Joe Grieco space to shoot but he dragged his effort wide of the post. 

As the half progressed, Glebe battled to get another goal back, but Leatherhead were firm and remained the most likely to score another, as slick passing on the edge of Glebe’s box presented opportunities but they were unable to capitalise. 

Glebe were offered a glimmer of hope, as Leatherhead’s were reduced to 10 men as Headman received his second yellow card of the evening. Leatherhead swung in a free kick from the right, but a high boot by Headman inside the box was deemed dangerous play by referee Harry Yellen and was brandished with his second yellow. 

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Leatherhead held out to win the Champion Timber U18 Midweek Floodlit Youth Cup 3-1.