Saturday Premier Final

A late comeback from FC Deportivo Galicia secures the Saturday Premier Cup

FC Deportivo Galicia fight back from one nil down to beat Nottsborough 3-1.

FC Deportivo Galicia started the game well, as they looked for their second County Cup this month, after they won the Middlesex Premier Cup on the 6th of April. Deportivo’s number 9 Anton Fernandez looked to open the scoring after only two minutes as he lofted the ball over Nottsborough keeper, Ben Lancaster, who was off his line. Luckily for Nottsborough, he didn’t get enough pace on his shot, and Lancaster was able to get back to coolly claim.

A minute later and it was Nottsborough who could have got the opener, as the ball fell to Harry Sklavanous inside the box, but his first time shot whistled wide of the post. 

Nottsborough continued to try and break past the Deportivo defence, as a good forward ball by Dan Barder to Kai Beck was well read by Galicia goalkeeper, Manu Lamas, who burst out of his box to clear the ball safely to midfielder Aitor Andon. 

Minutes later Fitzgibbon’s picked up an overhit cross and sped down the right before wriggled his way into the box, but Lamas was alert again to clear well with his feet. 

In opening fifteen minutes Nottsborough proved to be difficult to break down, with defender Tom Etherington being central to halt any Deportivo attacks. Their first real chance of the evening came from a loose ball between Sam Webb and Aron Wallis, which was intercepted by Deportivo livewire Amar Chopra who burst into the box, although he was unable to put his effort on target. 

Deportivo needed to rely on their goalkeeper again to keep the scores level, as Barber cleverly chipped the ball over the defender to Beck but the outrushing Lamas managed to arrive first and make a crucial interception. 

The deadlock could have been broken after 24 minutes as Deportivo’s Fernandez had a good chance after good work from Chopra found him in space on the left of the box but his chance from just outside the box was high over the bar. 

This miss proved to be costly, as two minutes later Kai Beck, who had been lively all match, opened the scoring for Nottsborough. A long ball up to Fitzgibbon was played back to Beck just outside the area, and with Lamas off his line he chipped it over him to put Nottsborough 1-0 up. 

Galicia had a great chance to equalise minutes later as the pacey Chopra got past his man on the wing and his crossed looked to fall to Fernandez in the middle but a good flick by Etherington took it away from him and Kane Packer could clear to safety. 

Deportivo continued to pile on the pressure as they looked for an equaliser before half time, Juan Devia brought down a clearance on the edge of the box but he clipped his effort wide of the right post.  Their best chance from an equaliser came through Fernandez who found himself with space in the box but his shot straight at the keeper.

Nottsborough looked to double their lead just before half time as they got a free kick on the edge of the box as James Taylor was brought down under a heavy challenge, Barber stepped up but his effort was just wide of the post. 


The second half started as a cagy affair as Deportivo looked to find an equaliser, good work from Chopra down the wing opened up an opportunity as he pulled it back to the Matti Drobio on the edge of the box but his first-time shot was high over the bar. Minutes later a quick one-two between Ruiz and Devia for Deportivo cut open the Nottsborough defence but Ruiz shot across the goal was narrowly wide. 

As Deportivo pushed to get a goal back, Nottsborough looked to catch them on the break to settle the tie. Fitzgibbon got past his man and drove into the box but a last ditch block from Gabriel Onutu only gave them a corner which was fizzed across the box but no one could turn it home to double their lead. 

On the 72nd minute Deportivo did get their deserved equaliser through Onutu. They broke through Chopra who spread it wide after finding Onutu in the box who controlled well before twisting and slotting home to make it all square. They could have gone 2-1 up seconds later as Ruiz found Chopra inside the box, but his effort went wide and no one was alert to poke home at the back post. 

Moments later and Nottsborough could have restored their lead, as Beck broke the offside trap, but his lofted shot nestled onto the top of the net. Minutes later Beck had another chance as he disposed James Taylor and drove from halfway to the box but his shot was well blocked by Deportivo captain Razy Nadeem. 

Beck continued to be an issue for Deportivo, as he got in behind their defence, but Lamas was once again quick to smother the danger, and his save rebounded to safety. 

These misses for Nottsborough proved to be costly as Deportivo took the lead in the 85th minute as Ruiz’s searching cross deflected and looped over the goalkeeper into the bottom right-hand corner. It got worse for Nottsborough, as four minutes later Deportivo got a decisive third. After good work by Devia down the wing, he spread the ball to substitute Naim Mejdoubi who burst into the box before finding Bryan Vinueza unmarked to tap home into an empty net. 

Nottsborough looked to get one back late into injury time but Beck shot just inside the box was well smothered by Nadeem, seconds later he did have another chance but was pushed wide and could only find the side netting and Deportivo Galicia held on to win the Saturday Premier trophy.