Met Police Celebrating Final Win

Met Police Lift The Surrey U18 Midweek Floodlit County Cup

The first midweek County Cup Final of the season, ended in a 2-1 win for Met Police against Camberley Town.

First Midweek County Cup Final ends with Met Police taking home the title against Camberley Town

The Surrey U18 Midweek Floodlit County Cup concluded last night with a 2-1 win for Met Police over Camberley Town

Both teams showcased their young talents under the lights at Meadowbank Football Ground on Wednesday night.

The first quarter of an hour belonged to Met Police, who had the best chances and possession in the early stages. On 16 minutes the Met came close to taking the lead after a brilliant cross into a crowded box found a blue shirt, but his shot was blocked. The follow-up forced the keeper to make an acrobatic save.

Later in the half Camberley had excellent chance to break the deadlock, taking advantage of a wayward pass at the back for the Met. The ball was picked up by Camberley, who broke and blazed a shot just wide of the left-hand post. As the whistle went for half time the score remained 0-0, with both sides well-matched at the end of the first 45 minutes.

It didn’t take long after the interval for the momentum to shift in Met’s favour. They got off to the best possible start for the Met, making the breakthrough two minutes after the break. An inch perfect ball picked out forward Ben Hughes, who slotted home with a left-footed strike.

More Met Police pressure paid off on 66 minutes with a superb cross into the box from a free kick headed in across goal by Sam Fanning. The Camberley keeper was left static, as Met Police leapt into a 2-0 lead.

Met Police continued to dominate proceedings in the second half, fashioning a wealth of great opportunities. However, with one minute left of the 90 Camberley found themselves a route back into the match as the Met keeper failed to keep hold of the ball, leaving the ball at the feet of a grateful Camberley player who buried the loose ball, opening up the contest again.

With only three minutes of stoppage time to be played, it proved too little too late. Camberley’s slim chances evaporated as they were reduced to men.  As the referee’s final whistle blew, an entertaining match finished 2-1 to Met Police. It was a sweet victory for the Met, who lifted the Surrey U18 Midweek Floodlit County Cup, avenging their defeat in the final of the same competition last season.

Post-Match Reaction

We caught up with Met Police Captain, Archie Lowery after the game and asked him what winning the Cup Final meant to him and the team; “[It’s an] absolutely brilliant feeling to win not just for me but for everyone in there”, Archie explained.

“We’ve worked really hard over the 8 months of the season so far and we deserve for it to amount to something, and a County Cup Final is the best way to do that.”

A strong crowd of 173 at the home of Surrey FA, Meadowbank Football Ground, witnesses Met Police lift the trophy.

Related News

View All